6.28.2006

You may not like this one, just a warning

So, i apoligize that this post is kinda deep and darker than most. I also apoligize if you disagree with me on what I say but i am trying to figure this out and i hope typing it out will help.

So I started my Political Theory class last night, (woohoo). We were talking about emperical (Factual) and Normative (value based) statements. We came to one and then discussed it and i began to think about it and how i feel about the issue. The statement was "Abortion is murder". The problem we were having with the class was that it could be considered emperical or normative depending on how the person views the issue. One person may say it is value based while the other person truly believes the abortion is murder and therefore it is emperical because emperical can be fact based questions even if they are false. I hope that makes sense.

Well, I began to think about what i think about abortion and is it murder or not. Personally, I believe that I have no right to tell Stephanie is Wyoming that she HAS to have the baby she is pregnant with. I would never choose abortion or want someone to choose it but it is not my body or my emotions. I understand people that are adamently against it and i respect that opinion because i do believe that adoption is soo much a better option especially now when you can pick a family that will send pictures, or allow you to know and have visitation with the child. I believe in Safe, Legal and Extremely Rare.

But when do those cells growing in the womb become a baby and when do they become "alive". I find it hard to believe that at the moment of conception there is a concious thought in the two cells that are formed but if not then, then when. I dont believe that it is when the baby comes out of its mother because there is evidence that their is brain function before that. I personally believe the partial birth abortion is murder because waiting until the baby is ready to be born and then deciding that you dont want it, is just wrong. Abortion is meant, i guess, to keep you from going through the pregnancy and if you have gone through it then what is the problem, call an adoption agency. I have heard the argument that when the child is able to live on its own outside its mother then it is "alive" and i guess i would have to agree with that because it seems the most logical although this is not a logic issue. I think that a decision should be made within the first trimester and after that there is no choice except in rare circumstances that the mother is ill, the child will only live in extreme pain for a short time or has already died, but not just because the mother changes her mind.

I believe that abortion should be legal for a few reasons. One, they will continue to happen and i would rather it be in a safe, sterile clinic than in an alley with a coat hanger. The second reason is, if you believe the abortion is murder then why do we all exceptions. Why would you say that the mother's life is any more important that the child. If the mothers life is in danger because of the fetus, why is it that we go with her life. Why is it ok when the woman is raped? I understand the emtional problems that the mother will go through and have a huge amount of respect for women who are raped and raise the resulting child but again we are putting her life about the childs. If abortion is murder then abortion is murder and all abortions should be thrown out.

Well I think that helped me figure out what i feel about this. I know some of you will probably talk to me about it and that is fine because i obvoiusly dont know waht i compoeltly think and talking about it may help.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so where are these pictures you promised?

Anonymous said...

Ok so that last comment was meant to go on the "long time no blog" post. As for this post...

you know my feelings, but you talked about people who believe that abortion is murder. You stated that if abortion is murder there shouldn't be exceptions. I agree, however, to give you something to think about...

There are exceptions to murder. Self-defense, for example, in many cases justifies murder. Couldn't you say that if a woman's life is in danger and she chooses to have an abortion to save her own life, that is self-defense?

Temporary insanity - don't you think that the post traumatic stress of a rape could put a woman into a state in which could not think clearly and therefore decides to abort the baby?

This was a good post. It actually got me thinking about these issues and you know how grounded i am in my opinions about abortion.

hardlyahero said...

I agree that there are exceptions to the rule. But when you say self defense is an exception that is when the person murdered is maliciously attacking you trying to cause harm. I dont think the fetus is trying to harm you. You could actually call when the mother is pregnat and her life is in danger a form of suicide because she got pregnant, not that i believe that by any stretch of the imagination but you could look at it that way. I dont think that self-defense works because the fetus is not trying to harm you like a person you kill in self defense.

I agree with the post tramatic stress problems but again hypothetically, if you got pregnant and decided to have an abortion, that is murder but if you were raped and got pregnant and decided to have an abortion, that is ok. I have a problem with that because why in that instance is the mother mental wellness more important than in the first instance. The baby still dies either way. I would NEVER say a raped woman should have to have the baby, that would be horrible for her, especially if she could not give it up and then saw her rapist eyes in her child but if as a lawmaker, you say that abortion is wrong in certain instances, what makes it right in the others. Why in some instances is the mother's life more important but in others the babies life is?

I think that is the problem with outlawing abortion, it will never go away completly, if we could find a way for it, i would support whole-heartedly outlawing it but i would rather it be done in a safe, sterile clinic than in a alley. I do believe that limitations are the answer, right now at least. We have to make it difficult to get one and give people alternatives, ADOPTION, ADOPTION, ADOPTION! and makes those alternatives easier for all involved. We also need to teach abstinance and birth control in school. Teaching birth control does not entice kids to have sex, and if it does, they are going to do it and i would rather them be safe than pregnant

But that was a very nice reponse and it did make me think a little more about it